Wednesday, May 3, 2017

twitter post Homeless Education Literacy Project (McKinney-Vento Act), Dr. Sheila Jocelyn Shaw, D.B.A "McKinney-Vento Act.1 This law defines homelessness broadly. You qualify for its protections if you have no consistent, appropriate place to stay. This includes youth who are “doubled up” with other youth or families due to economic hardship; “couch surfing;” living in a car, motel, hotel, camping grounds, trailer park, or sleeping outdoors or in a public place; or living in a shelter. The law protects youth who have run away from home, been thrown out of their home, been abandoned by parents or guardians, or separated from their parents for any other reason. These youth are called “unaccompanied homeless youth.” Youth who are in temporary foster care placements also qualify. This includes children who are placed through the child welfare system in shelters, emergency foster care placements, transitional foster care or respite care or a placement for purposes of evaluation.2 How do I enroll in school if I am experiencing homelessness? You are entitled to attend public school in Pennsylvania until you graduate or until the year in which you turn age 21—for free.3 A youth usually needs a parent or legal guardian to enroll in school. However, if you are currently living on your own, without the support of your parents, and have no permanent place to stay, or otherwise are considered to be experiencing homelessness, you have two options for where to attend school: The school you attended when you first became homeless or the school you are currently attending even if you do not live in that school district or attendance area anymore. You can get help with transportation to get to school. You can also choose to enroll in the local school that is close to where you are currently staying. If this is your choice, you have a right to be enrolled in school immediately—the day you make the request—even if you do not have all the documents that are required for enrollment. Even if you are close to getting housing somewhere, you can still take advantage of this, and will not have to switch schools again this school year, even if you move to a different permanent place.4 Your local school district has to help you enroll in school. This includes picking a staff person who will help you, called the “liaison.” Among other things, the liaison must help you decide where to enroll in school—he or she must listen to what you want to do, and help you track down your records if you don’t have them.5 You can find your local liaison here, or ask a trusted adult at school who the McKinney Vento liaison is for your district...."


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home