Wednesday, September 9, 2015

The USDOE focuses on accreditation as a requirement for distributing financial aid, while the CHEA focuses on accreditation as a way to measure academic quality. It’s important to understand that the USDOE and CHEA do not accredit schools and programs themselves, but instead provide a good place for prospective students to start in their own search for accredited options.

National and Regional accreditation (regional directory

National Accreditation National accrediting agencies, like regional accreditors, review colleges and universities at the institution-level. However, they are not limited to working with schools in a particular location, and instead provide accreditation to institutions throughout the United States. National accrediting agencies primarily focus on faith-based, career-related, or online education, although it’s important to point out that most national accreditors review on campus and online, as well as blended schools and programs. A school’s accreditation status can affect you, as a student, in many ways, including: applying to graduate school meeting employer expectations and certification requirements receiving federal student aid transferring academic credit One type of accreditation is not inherently better than another. The processes used by national and regional accrediting agencies to evaluate academic quality are similar. However, if you are planning to transfer credit, regional accreditation may be preferred. While each school establishes its own policies regarding what will be accepted and how it might be applied toward a specific degree program, some schools will only consider transfer credits that were earned at regionally accredited schools. If you are interested in the possibilities of transfer credit, be sure to research the requirements in advance. Career-related Accreditors Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET) Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS) Council on Occupational Education (COE) Distance Education and Training Council – Accrediting Commission (DETC) National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts and Sciences, Inc. (NACCAS) ACCREDITATION INFO LINKS- MORE ON THE SUBJECT OF ACCREDITATION "Here are a few resources you can use to find out more about which accrediting agencies are recognized by the USDOE and/or the CHEA, and in turn, which schools are accredited by the recognized agencies: Database of Accredited Institutions and Program: Search this USDOE site by school or accrediting agency. Directory of Recognized Organizations: A list of accrediting agencies recognized by the CHEA. Recognized Accrediting Organizations: A side-by-side list of accrediting agencies and their status as recognized by the USDOE and/or CHEA."

Saturday, September 5, 2015


Academic dress According to The American Council on Education “six-year specialist degrees (Ed.S., etc.) and other degrees that are intermediate between the master's and the doctor's degree may have hoods specially designed (1) intermediate in length between the master's and doctor's hood, (2) with a four-inch velvet border (also intermediate between the widths of the borders of master's and doctor's hoods), and (3) with color distributed in the usual fashion and according to the usual rules. Cap tassels should be uniformly black.” The other such degrees in the United States are the Licentiate degrees granted by pontifical universities and the professional engineer diploma.


Award of Degrees

First Associate Degree
Students who desire both a Thomas Edison State College associate degree and a Thomas Edison State College bachelor’s degree may have both degrees awarded together in the same graduation cycle.
If a student has completed an undergraduate, advanced or professional degree and applies for an associate degree, he/she must complete a minimum of 12 credits in the option beyond credits completed on the date the most recent degree was awarded. The student must also meet all requirements specific to the degree.
Second Associate Degree
Students who have received one associate degree at Thomas Edison State College or another regionallyaccredited institution and wish to earn a second associate degree must:
  • Complete a minimum of 12 additional credits in the option for a second associate degree beyond the date the most recent degree was completed.
  • Students must complete all requirements for the degree as listed in the current Thomas Edison State CollegeCatalog.
First Bachelor’s Degree
A student who applies for a first bachelor’s degree may not have completed another four-year degree. Students who have earned a bachelor’s, graduate or professional degree must follow the policies and procedures under “Second Bachelor’s Degree.” A student may have completed an associate degree or degrees prior to earning his/her first bachelor’s degree.
Second Bachelor’s Degree
Students who have received one bachelor’s degree at Thomas Edison State College or another regionally accredited institution and wish to earn a second bachelor’s degree must:
  • Complete a minimum of 24 additional credits in the area of study/core for a second bachelor’s degree beyond the date the most recent degree was completed
  • Students must complete all requirements for the degree as listed in the current Thomas Edison State CollegeCatalog.
The College will not award a third associate or bachelor’s degree.
Two Areas of Study Within One Degree
Students may complete up to two areas of study within one bachelor’s degree. No more than 9 credits that are used in the first area of study may be used for the second area of study. All related required credits for each area of study, as well as all degree requirements, must be met at the same time. Students cannot complete a third area of study within one bachelor’s degree.
Second Master’s Degree
Students who hold a master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution may earn another master’s degree under the following conditions:
  • Students may apply no more than 12 graduate semester hours of credits from any previously earned master’s degrees toward the new master’s degree.
  • Transfer graduate credits that were earned more than seven years ago may not be applied to the new master’s degree without the permission of the appropriate School dean.
  • Students must also adhere to any additional degree and transfer credit policies imposed by the School in which their degree is to be earned.
Bachelor's to Master's Program
Thomas Edison State College undergraduates may apply for conditional admission to the Thomas Edison State College graduate program of their choice when:
  • they have earned at least 60 undergraduate transcripted credits
  • they have a minimum GPA of 3.0
  • they have three years of degree program relevant experience.
Conditionally admitted students will not be permitted to enroll in graduate courses until they have successfully completed 90 undergraduate credits with an overall Thomas Edison State College GPA of 3.0. Conditionally admitted students may earn up to 9 graduate credits (three courses) to meet requirements for both the bachelor’s and master’s degrees. These students will pay undergraduate tuition for the 9 graduate credits (three courses) and must maintain their active undergraduate enrollment status.
Note: there are recommended courses in each graduate program in which undergraduate students may enroll; check with an advisor for those courses. Students who do not achieve a 3.0 in their graduate course work will not be permitted to take additional courses.
Students who do not successfully complete the nine credits successfully will have to reapply for admission to graduate study.
Your ability to take advantage of the Bachelor’s to Master’s program depends on the courses you have already completed and those that apply to your degree. You must have room in your undergraduate degree for these recommended courses.

...An important consideration when you're planning a second or third degree at the same level is the 'second degree rules' at the college. They vary from school-to-school and can be very strict. Most people never encounter this because they only get one degree at each level. You need to make sure you find this in the catalog and follow it. 

With graduate degrees it's different. Most master's programs won't transfer more than 6 hours though some will transfer as many as 12-15. Some schools do have a sequential master's degree though - if you already have a master's degree then they only require that you complete the core requirements of the second degree since the first master's can serve as electives. Understand though - most master's degrees don't allow for a lot of electives to start with.

Friday, September 4, 2015

Academic Resumes!

Homeless Education Literacy Project (McKinney-Vento Act)

Online Flipping Book

 Homeless Education Literacy Project (McKinney-Vento Act), Dr. Sheila Jocelyn Shaw, D.B.A 

6" x 9" (15.24 x 22.86 cm) 
Black & White on White paper
34 pages
ISBN-13: 978-1517204211 (CreateSpace-Assigned) 

ISBN-10: 1517204216 
BISAC: Literary Collections / General

Homeless Education Literacy Project (McKinney-Vento Act)

Featured book or literacy read:

Cool Colleges: For the Hyper-Intelligent, Self-Directed, Late Blooming, and Just Plain Different (Cool Colleges: For the Hyper-Intelligent, Self-Directed, Late Blooming, & Just Plain Different) Paperback – April 1, 2007

"If, due to a loss of housing, a child must live in a shelter, motel, vehicle, or campground, on the street, in abandoned buildings, or doubled-up with relatives or friends, then he/she is eligible to receive services provided under the McKinney-Vento Act." (Read More...

Excerpts from the following websites:

The National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth (NAEHCY)

National Center for Homeless Education (NCHE)

Additional information from NACAC:

Additional resources are available on the NCHE handouts webpage at

The following is an excerpt from the powerpoint presentation provided by NCHE.

Who locally would be able to answer additional questions for me?
Taking the test and applying for the waiver to cover the cost of the tests?

¡AP exam fee waivers are available for eligible students with no limit on the number of waivers per student
¡To qualify for an AP exam fee waiver:
§The student receives or is eligible to receive free or reduced price lunch;
§The student's family receives TANF assistance; or
§The student is eligible to receive medical assistance under the Medicaid program
¡Waivers are administered at the school; speak with your school’s AP Coordinator
¡A full AP exam waiver consists of:
§A federal contribution of $53/exam
§A College Board contribution of $26/exam
§A school’s waiving of their $8/exam fee
¡Some states may continue to charge a nominal fee
¡More information is available from the College Board:
§Fee reductions for AP Exams
§2013 Details by State: AP Exam Fee Assistancehttp://2015 Details by State: AP Exam Fee Assistance

State Coordinator for Homeless Education contact information may be accessed at

Learn more about TRIO at

Federal Laws/Guidance/Resources Pertaining to the Education of Homeless Children and Youth:

Example state: Florida Statutes

1009.25 Fee exemptions.

(1) The following students are exempt from the payment of tuition and fees, including lab fees, at a school district that provides workforce education programs, Florida College System institution, or state university:
(a) A student enrolled in a dual enrollment or early admission program pursuant to s. 1007.271.
(b) A student enrolled in an approved apprenticeship program, as defined in s. 446.021.
(c) A student who is or was at the time he or she reached 18 years of age in the custody of the Department of Children and Families or who, after spending at least 6 months in the custody of the department after reaching 16 years of age, was placed in a guardianship by the court. Such exemption includes fees associated with enrollment in applied academics for adult education instruction. The exemption remains valid until the student reaches 28 years of age.
(d) A student who is or was at the time he or she reached 18 years of age in the custody of a relative or nonrelative under s. 39.5085 or who was adopted from the Department of Children and Families after May 5, 1997. Such exemption includes fees associated with enrollment in applied academics for adult education instruction. The exemption remains valid until the student reaches 28 years of age.
(e) A student enrolled in an employment and training program under the welfare transition program. The regional workforce board shall pay the state university, Florida College System institution, or school district for costs incurred for welfare transition program participants.
(f) A student who lacks a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence or whose primary nighttime residence is a public or private shelter designed to provide temporary residence for individuals intended to be institutionalized, or a public or private place not designed for, or ordinarily used as, a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings.
(g) A student who is a proprietor, owner, or worker of a company whose business has been at least 50 percent negatively financially impacted by the buyout of property around Lake Apopka by the State of Florida. Such student may receive a fee exemption only if the student has not received compensation because of the buyout, the student is designated a Florida resident for tuition purposes, pursuant to s. 1009.21, and the student has applied for and been denied financial aid, pursuant to s. 1009.40, which would have provided, at a minimum, payment of all student fees. The student is responsible for providing evidence to the postsecondary education institution verifying that the conditions of this paragraph have been met, including supporting documentation provided by the Department of Revenue. The student must be currently enrolled in, or begin coursework within, a program area by fall semester 2000. The exemption is valid for a period of 4 years after the date that the postsecondary education institution confirms that the conditions of this paragraph have been met.
(h) Pursuant to s. 402.403, child protection and child welfare personnel as defined in s. 402.402 who are enrolled in an accredited bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in social work program, provided that the student attains at least a grade of “B” in all courses for which tuition and fees are exempted.

(2) Each Florida College System institution is authorized to grant student fee exemptions from all fees adopted by the State Board of Education and the Florida College System institution board of trustees for up to 54 full-time equivalent students or 1 percent of the institution’s total full-time equivalent enrollment, whichever is greater, at each institution.

CollegeTransfer.Net Releases the AcademicGPS Mobile App for Students for the iPhone and Windows Phone 7

Preview and download the free AcademicGPS Mobile App for the iPhone and Windows Phone 7 and take your future for a test drive today!
About CollegeTransfer.Net and AcademicGPS
CollegeTransfer.Net is America's top website for college transfer and admissions advice.  Seven million searchable college coursesand transfer equivalency options, twenty thousand transfer guides and over four thousand college listings put your future at your fingertips!   A few mouse clicks returns tons of transfer and admissions information.  One thousand colleges and universities are represented with College Transfer Profiles that offer clear-cut transfer guidance and social networking.  At a glance preview concise, one page summaries of transfer opportunity information and compare the schools of your choice!
CollegeTransfer.Net supports more than 100K visitors annually and maintains 15K online passport accounts for registered student users, start your free passport account today.  CollegeTransfer.Net is committed to providing helpful, user-friendly tools on your favorite handheld mobile devices with the AcademicGPS Mobile App.  Preview and download the free AcademicGPS Mobile App for the iPhone or Windows Phone 7 and touch your future today!

Military Child Education Coalition for the sake of the child


The McKinney-Vento Act in Our Schools Video Series
Patricia Julianelle, NAEHCY's Director of State Projects and Legal Affairs, created a series of videos to be used in brief McKinney-Vento trainings with school staff and community members. Ten short videos feature interviews with educators, each one designed for a specific audience, including registrars, principals, counselors, federal program administrators, superintendents, and community groups. A preview of three of the videos is available at To order a DVD containing all ten videos ($15.00 plus shipping/handling), contact Patricia Julianelle
Real Students, Real Schools Video Series
NAEHCY's Real Students, Real Schools videos feature McKinney-Vento homeless liaisons and students experiencing homelessness interviewing each other about their experiences. Two videos showcase high school students from around the country talking about losing their homes, how homelessness affected their education, and how their schools help them stay safe, stable, and successful.  The youth also share their advice and encouragement for other young people without stable housing. These two videos are also available in English and Spanish. In a third video, McKinney-Vento homeless liaisons from around the country answer questions from students about their work, challenges, and successes.
NAEHCY wishes to thank Virgin Unite for their generous financial support that enabled the production of these videos.


National Center for Homeless Education
The National Center for Homeless Education (NCHE) serves as the information and technical assistance center for the U.S. Department of Education's Education for Homeless Children and Youth program.
Visit NCHE's Awareness Videos resource webpage